Birthday Pup!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 § 0

Today is Scout's first birthday!
This was the fist picture I saw of the little guy, he's on the right.

 We found Scout on craigslist last spring. Some guy in Jacksonville, FL (where we are from) had two Black Mouth Curs (we had never heard of the breed, but we found our it's what Old Yeller was) and they "accidently" had puppies. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't really an accident, he told me the accident story once and he told me he wanted his dogs to have puppies once. 

Either way, we were living in Virginia at the time and decided one night we wouldn't get a second dog until we got settled in to KC's first duty station, which could be up to a year later (Marlin, our other dog, was about a year old at this time). Well, the next day we continued looking at craigslist puppies that needed homes anyway and saw him. And I was going to be heading to Jacksonville very soon because my dad was having surgery.  So, we caved. I had my father in law go pick him up... he paid a whopping $20 for him... and I got him about a week later when I went home. The two in the picture were the only 2 left, and they were living under the guys back porch. The man sprayed them with a hose until they came out. My father in law said Scout was the more friendly and outgoing of the two, and the family with two little girls that were also there wanted the other one because he was sweet and shy. 


Then, so cute and wrinkly... and now, 65 pounds later. He's a pretty big guy!
(We used to have grass, now we live in the desert and have sand.)
 It's still impossible to get him to look at the camera. 


Scout is still outgoing, friendly, and LOUD (he is a hound, and he can't contain his barking when he's really happy. We went to the vet last week and the girl told me "oh, he's the dog that barks when he is excited, I remember him!") But he's also very sweet. He wants nothing more than to snuggle up next to you, or on top of you. He is curled up next to me on the couch right now... and he is snoring.
 Very, very loudly. 
And probably drooling. And definitely farting. 

So, I'm a crazy dog lady, and I decided he needed a special birthday treat! I saw a recipe for puppy ice cream on Pintrest and knew it would be perfect. Here's the recipe:


32 oz plain yogurt
2 tbsp. peanut butter
2 tbsp. honey
1 mashed banana

Mix all ingredients together and freeze. The recipe recommended foam egg cartons or ice trays to freeze in, but I used these cute little heart shaped silicone cupcake molds, and it was the perfect amount.  :)

The boys definitely enjoyed it! 




What's this?

You are currently reading Birthday Pup! at The Lazy Maker.

meta

§ Leave a Reply