Lentil, Brown Rice and Sausage Bake

Thursday, February 23, 2012 § 0

Comfort food at is best! This meal is cheap and filling. I don't remember where I came across this lentil and brown rice base originally, but I've been playing around with it for a while and this is definitely my favorite version!

 I have realized since I started blogging that a lot of my recipes are just really not pretty... But I promise they are tasty! 

Lentil, Brown Rice and Sausage bake

3/4 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
3 cups broth, water, or a combination of the two 
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper (I used frozen)
2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded cheese, divided (I used mexi-blend)
1 package andouille sausage, cut to bite sized pieces (I used turkey andouille)

Mix  all ingredients (except one cup of cheese) in a baking dish. I usually use a large corningware dish (or my new covered stoneware, but it seems to take a lot longer!) 

Cover and bake at 300 for an hour. From here it just depends on your oven and dish. I check it every 20 minutes until nearly done (most of the liquid absorbed, and I usually taste a lentil just to be safe) then add the other half of the cheese on top and bake the last bit uncovered. 

What's this?

You are currently reading Lentil, Brown Rice and Sausage Bake at The Lazy Maker.

meta

§ Leave a Reply