Our New Favorite Tortilla Soup

Friday, January 27, 2012 § 0

We eat a lot of chicken tortilla soup around here, it's one of my favorite meals (after buffalo chicken sandwiches)! I usually just make it up as I go, but yesterday I wanted a little change. I stumbled upon  "Easy Three Ingredient McAllisters Chicken Tortilla Soup," and immediately thought of my dad. McAllister's was  a frequent after church stop for my parents (until it closed with no warning a few months ago), and dad always ordered this soup! 

The recipe called for: 
1 24 oz. jar of salsa
 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
16 oz. chicken stock
optional: beans, chicken, shredded cheddar, etc

Sounds pretty good, but I knew I wanted to pep it up a little. KC told me he liked this more than my usual, and it comes together pretty quickly!

OK, it doesn't look like much, but its hearty and delicious! The salsa taste is strong, so make sure you like the salsa you choose. 

3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, chopped
~1 c. bell pepper, chopped (I used frozen)
~1 c. corn (frozen or drained can)
16 oz. chicken stock
12 oz. salsa verde
12 oz. red salsa 
1 can beans, black or cannelloni (drained and rinsed)
 1c. cooked brown rice (I used an Uncle Ben's ready rice package, there have been lots of coupons for them lately. You could skip the rice, but I wouldn't!)
chicken (I used 2 breasts, well seasoned with taco seasoning, baked and chopped)
8 oz. package cream cheese

Saute garlic, onion and peppers with a little olive oil in large pot. Add corn, chicken stock, salsa, beans and rice and bring to a simmer. Cube the cream cheese and stir in until melted. Season as needed and serve. Serves 2 (me and a very hungry Marine) with leftovers for my lunch the next day.  You could easily serve this with quesadillas to feed for 4 or so. 

What's this?

You are currently reading Our New Favorite Tortilla Soup at The Lazy Maker.

meta

§ Leave a Reply